The Margherita pizza is attributed to baker Raffaele Esposito. Esposito worked at the pizzeria “Pietro… e basta così” which was established in 1880 and is still operating under the name “Pizzeria Brandi”. In 1889, he baked three different pizzas for the visit of King Umberto 1 and Queen Margherita of Savoy. The Queen’s favorite was a pizza evoking the colors of the Italian flag – green (basil leaves), white (mozzarella), and red (tomatoes). This combination was named Pizza Margherita in her honor.